Friday, November 7, 2014

Our journey is complete


Moving right along ... our next stop was a unique RV park in Gadsden Alabama. Better than midway between Chattanooga and Montgomery, this county owned park was almost surrounded by water. There were not many campers there but I think the park gets a lot of visitors none the less. After careful inspection I noticed that virtually every major tree in the park (and there were many and big) was strung with thousands of Christmas lights. I can only imagine when later in November they power these up it will be spectacular. Apparently it is quite an attraction for the locals during the holiday season. The place was neat as a pin, sites were all level and they locked the gate at 10pm each night. So if you're travelling south on I58 south of Chattanooga about 100 miles look for the town of Gadsden and head for the River Country RV Park.

I got the grill out and cooked our dinner while the sun was setting. Shortly after the sun was down here was our view.

A three quarter moon helps light our landscape
We were progressing to our final destination a little too fast as it turned out.  Our reservation at Gulf State Park begins November 1st and that was still four days away. However we were only, at the most,  a two day drive.  So Sharon got on the phone and asked if we could arrive early and they agreed so now we had to find one final place to stay along our route. As you might have guessed we do not plan our trips very far in advance. Maybe a day or two at the most we'll make a reservation but sometimes not until the day of arrival. Works for us but does limit us to where we stay sometimes. We're not WalMart fans preferring the security of a commercial establishment. Works for us.

So we have one more overnighter and found a spot off I65 near Hope Hull Alabama south of Montgomery. Montgomery South RV Park is little park that was well kept and had nice pull-thrus for easy entrance and exits. Clean showers and very personable owners, this is a great place for a one or two night stay.

The next day we had maybe 150 miles to go so it was a good distance for my current abilities.

I might note that we made the trip south mostly avoiding I65 which I would have used leaving the Indianapolis area. It's the fastest route but the last two trips on that interstate cured me of taking the coach there. Once leaving Indianapolis the road conditions were terrible. Reminded me of driving around the Flint MI area or I10 between Houston and New Orleans a few years ago. Absolutely bone jarring road surfaces loosening about everything in the coach and reducing speeds to about 45mph, if you're lucky. I knew I had to meet up with I65 again on the trip but would not do so until reaching Montgomery. Not to be disappointed, no sooner than I got into Montgomery the road turned to crap. Thankfully that only lasted about two miles and all was smooth again. So far only two miles of the 1100 we had travelled were ugly. I can live with that!

The final leg of the trip was, like most of the trip, uneventful. We pulled into Gulf State Park, confirmed our site reservation and got set up. Before the sunset we did manage to find the Fish River Grill #2 up in Foley for our first shrimp dinner. OMG it great to be back.

The park is in great shape with the exception of one item. One very important item I might add. Apparently lightening had hit the park's WIFI system twice within the past few weeks. So no WIFI ... which really angers me. I now make it almost a daily trip to the office to complain. Nobody listens as most are work campers but at least I can vent a little. We've now purchased a 10 gig data plan on our hotspot. A cost I didn't want but without it could not get this blog out. I had a fix-it guy come to the coach and fix my kitchen sink and the Dish Network guy stopped by and aligned our satellite dish so most everything is now ship shape.

We're happy to be here. Only very minor problems along the way and very happy that we made it safely.

Still livin' the dream.

Phil


No comments: