Friday, November 7, 2014

I'm baaaaccckkk !


Okay I’m bad. Lazy, inconsiderate, thoughtless …did I mention lazy? 

Leaving my loyal readers stranded like that scruffy hitchhiker at the entrance ramp to southbound I94. I’ve finally crawled out of my hibernation den … my fingers are limbered up and my mind crammed with semi-worthless anecdotes that clutter my mind and now need to be released. So here we go again … trying to explain what it’s like ‘livin’the dream’. The Cliff Notes version of what's been going on since my last entry.

Our previous winter, better known as the winter from hell, kept us at home for the first time in about 6 years. 92 inches of snow was the cold medicine that convinced us that we no longer belonged in the northern climes in the winter. To be honest we did have some very good reasons to stay home. Like Sharon needed a new hip, the motorhome needed an interior remodel and we needed to get reacquainted with kids and grand kids. We survived the winter and headed for our summer nest in South Haven. So a rather uneventful summer passed … doing the normal things we do … visit friends and family, enjoy the fruits, vegetables, and sites of the South Haven area and relax.  So as summer closed we needed to get the coach and house in order for this winter’s trip south. I got a little detained by inhaling some toxic chemicals included in some grass seed I got to reseed my lawn. Four days in the hospital, and maybe a year of recovery we needed to head south as the weathermen all say this winter will be a repeat of the last year's mess.

So the house is closed up and the coach is ready to go and the only thing that I really needed to pay attention to was to my stamina. Still recovering from the chemical burns in my lungs, the notion of not being able to drive the thousand miles gave us some concern. Others learned of my concerns and out of the blue my brother-in-law offered to help us out and drive the coach south for us. Within another day or so my friend Bill and neighbor Tom each offered to do the same thing. This outpouring of friendship was something I won’t forget. I had about two weeks to make up my mind if I wanted to take one of the volunteers up on their offer and during that time I started to feel a little better and finally decided that I could drive if I really took it easy and drove only a few miles a day. So that was the plan.  Within that plan we figured we’d stop along the way and visit family … spend a few days at each stop taking up almost two weeks to get to Gulf Shores.

So here we go ... livin' the dream

Phil


No comments: