Sunday, February 14, 2010

Sky Gazing

Accused of occasional laziness, I needed to redeem myself and show the world I really do get up early in the morning and get some things accomplished. So this morning, a crisp and bright Valentines Day morning at that, I awoke early and prepared to take on the day. Brewing up a big pot of coffee, I raised the blinds to enjoyed the morning sun and heard the familiar sound of a hot air balloonists kicking on the propane burners. Poking a look out each window I quickly could see there was more than one balloon … there were eight of them. Grabbing my cameras I headed for the door … then realizing I was still on my pajamas, (I figured who’d be up at this hour of the morning)  I stepped out.

The sky overhead was filled with the brightly colored orbs, each drifting slowly across the sky in front of me. A whoosh here … a whoosh there as they fired their burners lifting them gently into the sky. As I stood there taking it all in, tripping the camera shutter occasionally, I then realized I wasn’t the only one enjoying the view. I was however the only one in pajamas. Not exactly the view my neighbors wanted to see so I suspect I may have slightly spoiled the moment for them. But oh well … I got a few images and proved beyond doubt, that I can do something useful in the early morning.


Speaking of things in the sky around here, the Space Shuttle Endeavour STS-130 lifted off from the Kennedy Space Center the other night and I got up around 4:00AM to see it. It was the last night launch of the Shuttle program and I didn't want to miss the show. My old friend George, visiting with his wife Paula from Battle Creek, joined me for this early morning opportunity and helped me locate the launch direction on the horizon some 60 miles away. It was spectacular even at this distance.

For you photo bugs out there the exposure was 288 seconds at f20 at an ISO of 50.



So on this Valentines Day, I hope you all are with loved ones … I am, and still livin’ the dream

Phil

2 comments:

オテモヤン said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Unknown said...

Phil and Sharon,

I loved your photos Phil of the balloon and space shuttle launch. You have quite the talent in photography. I also appreciated your comments on other posts about the people you met at Bella Terra. I learned after our stay there that it's truly the people you meet along the way that make the trip worthwhile. We have made it as far southwest as Tucson where we are finally experiencing good weather. All my best,
Rebecca Johnson