Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Back to normal

It finally had to happen.  Everything fell into place.
 

Not a cloud in the sky... temperatures in the high 60's ... little wind.  A dozen Johsonville Cheese Brats, chips, drinks and good friends.  Time to Picnic.  We've been here since the middle of November and it was the first legitimate date we've had to grill out and enjoy the outdoors.  So with the chance of lobsterizing my smooth pate, I fired up the Coleman, set out the lawn chairs, and cooked my little heart out.  Our new friends from Iowa, Jim and Carol joined us and we managed to polish off most of the big tube steaks.  Ambrosia it was.  Nothing like grilling out with good friends on a beautiful day.  We're looking forward to many more as this kind of fun as winter rolls on.  My new friend and, adopted big brother Jim, and his wife, Carol.  They wave a lot in Iowa in case you wondered. 
Talk about a small world.  Our friends from Iowa ran across a couple down here who lives near them backhome. It's always seems good to connect with local folks when your away.  I think there are only three or four dozen families who actually live in Iowa so I thought this was a pretty big deal.  As we were finishing our cookout, another couple were walking their big Weineramer dogs.  Apparently headed over to the local 'drop zone', (if you get my drift) I commented on what a nice day it was to them.  We exchanged pleasantries and soon discovered they were from Michigan.  Not only from Michigan but from our home town ... and to top it off ... he retired from the same place I did.  I began having one of the Rod Serling moments.  As they parted I asked if the dogs would like the two remaining brats cooling on the grill.


At that very moment I knew dogs understood the English language.  Without hesitation or direction from their owners, those cool eyes were riveted on me like a shark on a California surfer as I walked over to the grill. Two 80- pound dogs straining at their leashes, as they were trying to get to me, does not make one comfortable.  I asked the owner if I should throw it to them or perhaps they would take the treat from my hand.  He mentioned something about I might need to count my fingers if I did, so I chose not to press my luck and tossed them.  The little brutes sort of met me half way in a semi lunge that was about waist high.  My whole life quickly passed before my eyes but I quickly re-focused as the brats disappeared instantly into their little white tooth lined mouths.  Nice dogs.

So good friends, frozen Margaritas, Johnsonville Brats, and a blue-sky day.  A perfect mix for 'livin the dream'.

Phil

p.s. ... We can thank Sharon for the photos this episode.  Nice job I'd say.

p.s.s ... On a purely political note ... as I write this there is a caliope of air horns blaring around the park as the results of the election results in Massachusetts are announced.

No comments: