Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Making headway

The great thing about retirement is that plans are not written in stone. We'd planned to make our next stop in Indianapolis but something came up. We gained a travelling companion. My old friend Bill said he'd signed up for a few days vacation and wondered if he could tag along our route for a while. Maybe lasting until Bowling Green Kentucky before turning back home. Great idea we thought but he mentioned he wanted to visit the RV Hall of Fame and Museum in Elkhart first. Not too far out of our way I figured so why not. So we headed out at the crack of noon and meandered south on I69. Once into Indiana I needed to head west on the the I 80 toll road and get off at exit 96.

As I approached the toll booths general confusion overtook me and could not quickly determined which pay lane I needed to be in. It must be a part of the aging process as lady luck was not on my side as I picked the wrong lane.
I was in the lane that truckers use with their automated toll readers. They barely slow down when passing through but I had come to a dead stop trying to figure out what to do next. Not a soul in the toll booth ... only a small metal tower with a speaker phone and a green 'help' button.

I jabbed at the button about the same time as the first 18 wheeler pulled in behind me and began laying on his air horns. An unintelligible voice came over the speaker apparently asking what help might I need. After asking her several times to repeat herself I finally thought she wanted my credit card number. Not knowing exactly where my wallet was, Sharon began searching around the coach. Still the horns continued in the background. Then a small blond lady appeared at the side of the coach saying that I could pay cash. I stopped talking to the women on the intercom and handed the lady a $20 bill. She handed it back saying she needed exact change. The horns behind us continued. We switched gears from wallet searching to finding exact change somewhere in the coach. Purses, pants pockets, and finally... Sharon found our bag of quarters we use for the laundromats. Grabbing a handful, I shoved them towards the attendant ... as the horns blared on. Somehow I had given her what she had asked for ... $2.25.
We had really owed them close to $10 but apparently they were so happy to get something out of us and out of the way of the increasing line of trucks, they raised the gate and let us go. Whew! We hurried along hoping that none of the angry mob of road warriors would catchup with us.


We quickly found the RV museum and Bill was waiting for our arrival. A beautiful building located along the toll road with plenty of rv parking (would you expect anything less?). We ventured inside and was met by two volunteers. Now these folks have lived and breathed rv'ing for a great long time and the love of the work they do in making this museum a great stop is fantastic. Not at all bashful about talking about what they love and do is both refreshing and sets an example for others to follow.


Sharon took the nice shot of a portion of the museum. Pretty good I'd say.

As we wandered throughout the large building I couldn't help but see how little I knew of the history of rv'ing. And the level of engineering that had occurred decades ago... wow..... what marvels.


Suddenly stricken by that 'howdtheydothat' disease, Bill inspects the mechanicals of an old front wheel drive Cortez manufactured by the Clark Equipment Company of Battle Creek. Predating the famous GMC Motorcoach, this little beauty was a slick little rig for its day.


The woodworking and the metal work were in some cases, works of art. Sure today's rigs are luxurious with many fine features ... but some of these old beauties are just so neat their uniqueness make them extra special.

If I understood the tour guide, this Road Chief was the predecessor to the famous Air Stream line of trailers. The boat- tailed gleaming beauty was as shiny as your grandmother's teapot. Though it looks painted in this photo, it is not; what you see is the reflections off some of the other nearby units. Besides the unique shape, the entrance to this rig is through the door located in the front, behind the hitch. This location obviously didn't catch on but the aircraft inspired shape did. It was one of my favorites.

So if you ever get around northern Indiana, stop by the museum and take a look. Even if you're not into rv'ing, it's still a neat nostalgia trip.

We're leaving for parts south whenever we fall out of bed in the morning. Not much of a plan but it's all we've got so far. We now needed to find a place to spend the night.

Still livin' the dream.

Phil


No comments: