Saturday, May 9, 2009

Okay ... We can do this

Kicking back ... sleeping in ... who cares what time it is.. kind of life. Well not exactly, but close. Getting into the rhythm of no rhythm isn't as easy as it sounds but we're improving daily.
We visited a few of our old haunts; you know WalMart, several of the local bistros. the local Rite Aid. Must not made too great of an impression last year as no one remembered us. But then again we didn't remember them either. So it's kinda' like starting anew. Fresh and exciting all over again.

Speaking of fresh and exciting... my old college buddy Rick and co-champion at the euchre table from our college days, sent me a rather dated photo with the tantalizing caption "do you know this handsome guy"?

Could it be Errol Flynn maybe or that 007 Bond guy? Well of course I didn't know ...but then Sharon walked in and said "oh dear... you were so much thinner then and had hair". Oh my God I thought!. It all came back like a giant tsunami. Needing some sort of quick rebuttal I quickly noted that at least I didn't smoke any longer.

After careful inspection I do concede some resemblance. What do you think? I think the photo was taken around 1975 so the ravages of time have indeed taken a toll. However, in a somewhat lame defense, my mind is still semi-sharp and I still don't smoke but I am starting to drool some. And of course my eyes are still steely blue somewhere behind those bags.

We've been putzing around camp getting some flowers planted, some new solar lights, and trying to stifle the ant population. Pesky little buggers that find their way around the campsite with an occasional one discovering a secrete passage into the coach. A fatal mistake for all of them so far.

My good friend Bill stopped by the other day and brought me some RV supplies from Camping World. A couple of neat teak tables and a fitting for a sewer hose I'd asked him to pick up if he was in the area. A great help saving me a 100 mile round trip.

Today, this Mother's Day eve, we did a little shopping in Grand Rapids and returned in time to stop at the 'What Not Inn' just north of our camp. A homey little bar/grill that is always packed with an ever changing crowd of summer residents and vacationers. The food is good, not gourmet but better than most in the area. The atmosphere is easy and unpretentious. Tonight was live blues music. It was nirvana for me. Front row table, a nice steak, a tall glass of beer, foot thumping blues, and of course my vote for Mother of the Year... my bride Sharon.

So for all you Mothers out there, and mother wanna-bees ... have a great day! Most of us don't say it enough, nor show it enough but we really do appreciate all you do.

Still livin' the dream

Phil


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It was sure fun seeing you two over the week-end. I ended up with a 197 in bowling last night. I finallygot my turkey. Dad and I bowled some more with Mom and she ended up getting a strike. That was really good for her considering she was bowling sitting down. Linda is just getting ready to leave. I am mentally pooped out or maybe I am just mental LOL. Anyway we had a nice visit with Linda and will miss her. I am going fdor right now I have chores to do, they just never end do they? Love Gay