Friday, December 19, 2008

Another Day ...Another Speed Bump

I really knew that Bob Vila and those "This Old House" episodes I watched all those years were NOT 'reality shows' but vicious little teasers created by the home improvement industry. Thinking that with just a little guidance from somebody like carpenter extraordinaire 'Norm', I could turn a shabby, outdated kitchen into a cooking mecca that Rachel Ray would be knocking down my door to cook here. Now I'm no fool and realize that it takes more than 30 minutes to rebuild a kitchen, but 'Bob' never told be about all the little 'speed bumps' I'd encounter with our little project. Even though we had a general contractor that managed the project, and with a costly run-in with the local building inspector, it seems that there is conspiracy to keep us from finishing this project we started late last October.

It seems that those IBD's (itty bitty details) will reach out and screw up a perfectly good plan every time. For instance ... The building inspector paid an unexpected visit one morning. I was upstairs and did not hear the knock at the door. Our plumber, who was installing a kitchen sink, answered the door. Now this seems innocent enough but workmen are generally not supposed to answer the door or answer the telephone while on the job. Who knows who they may be letting in. Just install the sink... no more... no less. As it finally dawned on me, from the voices I heard downstairs, that someone else was in the house, I came down stairs only to discover a rather large, and imposing man, walking out my front door. Without a 'hello' or 'good morning' he said he was 'shutting the job down' and the plumber would have to leave immediately. He went to say there were no permits issued for the project therefore he was stopping all work. Now I was standing about two steps up from the bottom of the stairs when he walked past and I was looking at him in straight in the eye. My blood pressure spiked a little as he stopped to inform me something about what permits I was supposed to have and then it dawned on me how big this guy was. So why should I argue... he was probably correct and if he wasn't no big deal...right? Who am I to tell this local Paul Bunyan the law? As it turned out, we did have some of the permits but not all. To argue too strenuously would mean tearing down freshly finished walls so they could review the work. I wasn't prepared to push them that far. Pay for the permits and just shut up is the right answer.

Anyway it was the start of a long string of delays that moved the project completion date of two days before Thanksgiving to ... I have no idea.

Not exactly sure we're 'living the dream' right now... but at least trying to make the most of it.

We hope the holidays are going well for all of you....

No comments: