Sunday, January 27, 2008

Dogs, birds, monkeys and a GMC

Lots of little adventures the last couple of days. A trip to the local dog track, though it didn't prove too profitable, was fun and gave me a chance to shoot some images of the skinny little speedsters. Originally I was told I couldn't take photos but turned out to be okay as long as I didn't use a flash. Later as I approached the starting box where the dogs are launched, someone asked if I was with the 'paper'. Of course I nodded yes and proceeded on.












The shooting location was a lot closer than I had planned, which was fine with me, but I sure could have used a flash. As I was down shooting pictures, Sharon was almost betting on a big winner up in the clubhouse. I say almost as she got behind a slow bettor at the parimutuel window and missed making the wager. So $277.02 went to some other player and she fumed all the way home. It was one of those famous 'hunches' of hers based on the numbers in her fathers birth date. Maybe next time.

We were driving around, almost lost, yesterday and stumbled across a stone marker planted on the corner of a remote road. I briefly got a glance of it but motored on telling Sharon I'd stop back later and take a picture. She urged me to turn around to check it out as I probably wouldn't pass this way again; and I'm glad I did. Here in the out-of-the-way area, overgrown with weeds was this marker in front of an old, dilapidated house that noted that this was once owned by the famous jurist Williams Jennings Bryan (Scopes "monkey" trail where he argued against Clarence Darrow back in 1925, remember?). Okay so this wasn't such a big deal but how many of you knew it was here in southern Texas? Anyway something to remember when I'm older and greyer.

Some folks may vaguely recall that this area is also smack in the middle of some of the largest migration paths of waterfowl, northern song birds, and butterflies. So, every now and again some of them stop and rest on whatever they can find to land on. Trees, fences, telephone poles...what ever looks comfortable I guess. Well it hasn't taken me too long to figure out where not to park the car. Whew...what a mess. They are interesting to watch however when it gets close to roosting time towards evening. Thousands upon thousands in the sky moving like the northern lights...dancing in rhythmic waves in the sky...pretty cool I'd say. This area is also famous for its birding (bird watching) locations drawing many from all over to view the migration and winter nesting. I stopped out to one of the state run stations the other day and had a very informative discussion with one of the workers. This is serious business with these folks and they help preserve the habitat needed to keep the bird populations thriving. When I asked about the butterflies she said in one acre they had seen over 32 species last week. Weird you may say that I was even out there but it sure beats mall hopping.

We were checking out some of the other RV parks in the area and stumbled across a rare old RV that many of you may remember. Technically, the GMC motor homes were way ahead of their time with a unique, innovative design that even today is modern and stylish even after almost 40 years.
The limited production (some say they were built just for GM execs) units had a fiberglass outer body and used an Oldsmobile Tornado front wheel drive train. They now have almost reached cult status and when I see one I like to grab a photo or two. This one was a gem.

We did have a few laughs yesterday (of course at someones elses expense) when the propane delivery truck stopped by the site across the street from me to delivery some of the 'liquid gold'. The worker was just a little too hasty, and careless when he dragged the hose from the truck to the empty tank.

Apparently trying to pull it around a water outlet pipe, he managed to bust the pipe off at ground level causing our own 'old faithfull'. Many were without water for several hours but as I'm told by some of the 'locals', this is nothing new.

So goes another day poking around places we've never been, discovering new things, and meeting new people and still....
...livin' the dream

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dad,

We're enjoying your travels just as much as you and Mom are I think. I'm glad you got to take some photos of the birds since I KNOW that you dont have that opportunity much here at home( minus the 15 disks full sitting in your office) At least that's what I'm hoping those photos were! Too bad that the track proved to be as equally profitable as Mt. Pleasant has been for the both of you. Mom's dead on hunches are a long family trait and we all know she got that from! Scott and I spent about an hour a Turtle Creek last week and the Indians were very greatful for our donation as I'm sure were your speedy canines. Oh well, maybe next time. We're starting to slow right down here and the weather is same old,same old. Gray, dreary, cold, and down right depressing. The nice shot of the sun and beach made us jealous, but who better to enjoy it than you and Mom. By the way, you mentioned that Mom is sewing again. As I recall your house back home is still in need of those curtains and the kids are FREEZING at night since they are waiting for famous Grandma creation. Perhaps we will have to rely on Allison since she just started a home economics class this semester and sewing is one of the requirements! She's only got 7 weeks to weave a masterpiece- Mom, you up to the challenge? What size curtains were those anyways? Just kidding. Well, no not really. :) Sounds as if cabin fever is running rampant in that rolling hotel room of yours so we'll be anxious to see where you end up next. Keep posting and adding the photos. We miss and love you both! Leigh

Anonymous said...

Phil and Sharon,
Thanks for the photo of the historical marker for William Jennings Bryan. Bryan was nominated as the Democratic candidate for President in 1896 after giving his famous "Cross of Gold" speech during the Democratic Convention, but lost to the William McKinley and those supporting the gold standard. The story of the Wizard of Oz was one result of that 1896 election. I believe he ran two more times as the Democratic candidate thereby making him a three-time loser. Eventually, he was a member of Woodrow Wilson's Cabinet but resigned after disagreeing with Wilson's stance toward Germany prior to US entry into WWI. Bryan suffered a stroke and died three days after the conclusion of the Scopes trial. As I recall, John Scopes wound up teaching in the Detroit area.

Supposed to reach 80 tomorrow here in Naples, FL.

Tad