Thursday, July 31, 2014

Mr Fix-it

As any seasoned RV'er knows ... things break. Looking under my coach I noticed some brown stains on the ground under my front mounted diesel generator. Not a lot material ... but certainly not normal.  I opened the generator tray and after a quick look around discovered the problem.  I normally run the 10kw generator and main engine every month while in camp. I should run them longer than the 15-30 minutes I do as I don't think I get them to proper operating temperatures, but figure this little bit cause less harm than not running them at all.  Anyway I ran the engines about three weeks ago and apparently the generators fuel pump decided it needed some attention and had sprung a leak under a crimp seal. Since the pump still had the original OEM engine paint on it I knew the pump was 20 years old ... a good long life, so time to go.

By good luck the model number could clearly be seen without removing the pump so I began looking on the web for a replacement. As bad luck would have it that pump had been discontinued and replacement choices were confusing so I wasn't sure what to order.  Finally I decided to check with regional RV parts stores and finally found one who was very confident of which pump would work. Their price was a little higher than other places but assured me it would fit and could be dropped shipped to me the following day. To my surprise, about 10:00am the next morning the FedEx truck pulled up with my brand new pump.

The following day, I opened the old tool box and grabbed a handful of wrenches and in about an 45 minutes swapped out the pumps. And, when I hit the 'start' switch ... it all actually worked! I know it shouldn't be a surprise to a good mechanic but since I'm not, it was. Oh happy day!
Onan 10kw replacement fuel pump
So I'm only telling you this story because you can save some serious repair bucks if you do a little research online and discover a 'how to' video the help solve your problem. Certainly not for every job you run across on your RV but most likely some you can do yourself.

Admiring my mechanic skills, saving some bucks, and still livin' the dream.

Phil

No comments: