Sunday, February 10, 2013

My fine feathered friend

RV travel can take you places you haven't been and see things you've not seen before.  Maybe it's just an extrapolation of the old question 'why did the guy climb the mountain'?  Beside getting there it's also the opportunity to see what's on the other side.  Whatever the explanation, the world around us usually has something interesting to embrace.  Yesterday was no exception.

The road between our camp in Fentress and the small town of Lockhart is a marked change from some of the nearby freeways.  This rural road just loafs along the foothills of the famous Texas hill country.  An easy drive with gentle curves, an occasional small ranch, an oil well or two and quite a bit of very dense mesquite acreage.  Mesquite is sort of scrub/shrub vegetation, very tough and apparently grows in dense patches that defy removal.  With needle like thorns and tap roots that will dive to 150 feet, these hardy plants make a terrific refuge for all kinds of critters.  Deer, wild hogs, cattle, coyote and a variety of birds find comfort in this prickly confine.

Returning from Lockhart yesterday I was driving pretty slow and noticed a number of vultures feeding on something dead in the mesquite patch along side the road.  By the looks of the remains, some 150 feet away, a wild hog had met its demise and lunch was being served (so to speak).  I pulled to a stop, got out my camera and 200mm lens and started to shoot.  From out of the corner of my eye I saw another bird enter the luncheon.  Big, brown, and a beak that looked like it could dismantle a car.
The vultures took quick notice and stepped aside from their lunch treat.  It was then this new guy took charge and decided this was his table ... others need not stick around.  So with the black vultures lurking and leering in the nearby mesquite bushes and their ever disappearing snack, I took a few images and left for camp wondering what I had seen.

I have an app on my Ipad called Peterson Birds of North America.  A feature rich program that I've turned to many times for bird help.  Under the section 'Diurnal Birds of Prey' I found the subject of my images.  In the sub category 'Caracares and Falcons' I found the "Crested Caracara".  Close to two foot tall, this not often sighted winged denizen apparently hangs out with vultures as they enjoy dining at the same places.  Anyway here's the young Caracara which I've since given the name "Igor" to.  Fitting I'd say.

Igor

And so it goes ... another day livin'  the dream.

Phil

No comments: