Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Preparation

We're heading out to upstate New York to visit my sister at the 2nd annual Brother's and Sister's weekend over the 4th of July so what better a time than to get the coach into the shop for a little service and extra TLC.  Since my grand daughters graduation reception is just prior to the trip east, we figured we could get a few important things done before driving the old Trail Blazer across Canada to northern NY.

Speaking of my grand daughter Allison  ... and certainly not to brag ... she is one bright cookie.  Not only a honors graduate but she also received several scholarships to attend Grand Valley State University.  She has a bright future ahead of her and will certainly continue to make her entire family proud.

I'd created my usual check list for all the things I needed checked out on the coach.  I'm sure the service people know all the right things to do but they make me feel better by listening to all my little suggestions and ideas.  We got the coach across the state without incident, or so we thought.  Arriving on the outskirts of Flint we tackled the famous I69 pothole challenge course that continues for several miles.  Three lanes of divots and bomb craters that would probably seem right at home in Baghdad.  Well I can tell you there were few of these shock busting holes I missed and before the couple of miles passed the damage was done. I could feel something had given way.  Oh well ... at least I was almost in sight of the repair shop.  I limped into their parking lot, unhooked the toad and checked in.  I think they were kidding when they mentioned that they could now think about taking an early retirement now that my coach was there. They laughed.  I pretended I didn't hear them.

So as we drove away from our mobile living quarters for the past 8 months, we were a little sad but also a little apprehensive as to what possible problem awaited us when we arrived at our house.  Since previous trips have surprised us with everything from floods to raccoon infestation when arriving after a trip, we are just a little edgy pulling into the drive. As luck would have it this time all was well at the home front.  What a relief.

Still livin' the dream.

Phil


No comments: