Sunday, April 29, 2012

Travel day

Today we survived the final leg of our trip over the western side of the Appalachian mountains ... and I'm relieved.  Too many orange barrels and too  many trucks trying to push me down the hills.  Okay I could have driven faster but I guess I'm just not good enough or confident enough, or ... wait a minute!  Maybe I am okay.  Maybe it's okay to be safe and prudent.  To heck with them.  We're at our next stop and we're safe.  If I delayed them a little ... get over it.  (I think I'm beginning to sound like a grumpy old man)

Anyway it's not been an overly great day.   Another tense day behind the wheel but finally we're in camp and all is well.  Except for the place we're staying (which will go un-named).  We were here several years ago and it was marginal.  Now, marginal would be a good grade for them.  Most buildings on the property are past the need to be demolished.  The pool is empty and a huge eyesore.  The roads all are in need for repair.  The only redeeming value is the price and its proximately to the route we are taking,  So one night will be enough and we'll be off on our northern trek.  I guess we've really been spoiled by the nice places we've camped in all winter.

We filled up the tank this morning at $4.01/gal and the mountains took their toll on fuel mileage.  Normally we're getting better than 9 mpg but now we're getting 7 mpg.

Aside from the little speed-bumps today, we're still livin' the dream.

Phil



No comments: