Sunday, January 8, 2012

Headin' for the Promise land

Yup ... the promise of no snow and no sub-zero temps gets us on the road today.  We've managed to put 600 miles under our butts and we're now snuggled into a comfy Hampton Inn in Knoxville Tennessee.

Totally great weather for driving, at least until we got to TN whereas a light drizzle goobered up the once clean car.  We arrived in Knoxville shortly after dark and located the Hampton.  We checked in and got from the manager, with a little coaxing from Sharon, a recommendation for a place to eat this evening.  Since it seemingly is what we do best, we headed out to Puleo's Grille www.puleosgrille.com to find out for ourselves. A quick ride down the street brought us to the restaurant and were soon seated.  As Puleo's advertising likes to put it ... it has 'Southern roots and Italian heritage'.  I know it sounds like fried chicken, grits and spaghetti but it really has a very nice selection.  We started out with a delicately battered and fried calamari (chopped up little eight legged {and two tentacles}denizens of the deep). As good as Sweeny's (near Miamisburg Ohio) they were, and as my son-in-law would say ... "very tasty".  Sharon ordered shrimp whereas I choose a NY strip.  We each split our order when it arrived so we each had surf and turf.  Each meal was very nicely prepared and ... very tasty.  The dinning area was very comfortable and, even though it was a Sunday night, very well attended.  Our waitress Emily was so pleasant and helpful this northerner had almost gotten what southern hospitality was all about.  I think I've met a couple of hundred waitresses who could learn a thing or two from her.  Attentive, friendly, and able to give excellent details on Puleo's many offerings, it made the evening extra special.  Give this place a try the next time you're in the Knoxville area.  I think they have about six locations but we were at the Cedar Lane restaurant off I75 at exit #108.

So we've got about half the distance covered for this trip ... on the very first day!  I know many of our friends will find this a complete fantasy but before we left I put some blue fairy dust in the fuel tank and we travelled like the wind.  Or at least that's the story I'm telling today.

Still livin' the dream and headin' south.

Phil

2 comments:

Gayanne said...

Hi Phil & Sharon, I sure enjoy your posts. You have so many interesting things to tell about. I am glad you made it back to sunny Florida safely. We are enjoying the bitter cold and snow (NOT!!!!) here in dynamic BAttle Creek. It was nice having you home over the Christmas and New Year holidays. I look forward to seeing you both this Spring. I miss you and love you both. Gay

Gayanne said...

Hi Phil & Sharon, I hope this comment goes through to you. I am glad you made it back to sunny Florida safely. I am really enjoying the bitter cold and snow (NOT!!!!) here in dynamic Battle Creek LOL. It was really nice having you home over the holidays. I look forward to more of your great writing Phil. You always have such interesting and humerous things to say on your blog. See you this Spring. Miss and Love you both, Gay