Wednesday, June 22, 2011

More Great News

I must be getting older (oh really?) ... I now have a granddaughter who has a drivers license and ... her own car.  OMG.  Father time marches on.  Even though her mother's anxiety level may have reached new highs, she's working her way towards adulthood and this is just another milestone along that path.  I vaguely remember when I got my first car (my grandfather's 1951 Chevy) and what an exciting (and liberating) moment it was.  My world just grew exponentially larger.  No longer was a bike ride downtown a big deal ... Just think ...I could now go anywhere. (well maybe anywhere my folks would let me). New places to go and see without Mom and Dad ... this is exciting stuff.  Anyway it's often said that a picture is worth a thousand words so here is what pure joy looks like.  My granddaughter and her Jeep.  Pretty cool, I'd say.
So fellow travelers ... keep an eye out for her on the highway.  She's a good driver but still is learning (as most of us are).

On another note (a musical one at that) ... I gathered up several of my fellow campers and headed for the "What-Not-Inn" (http://www.whatnotinn.com/) for a late Father's Day evening of food and jazz.

Headlining was singer Tony Reynolds (www.ynotsing.com), the consummate big-time professional who makes you glad you drug your butt off the couch and found out where he was performing.  Handling song requests from the last three or four decades (plus his standard show), there are few he can't do.  With the fantastic keyboard work of Michigan's own Wally Michaels, the two make for a unforgettable evening.  By the looks of Tony's schedule (he performs in California almost every weekend) you can better understand his chosen profession is more than a paycheck but a true labor or love.  He and Wally will be back at the WNI July 17th. But in the meantime, they will be performing at various venues in the Grand Rapids area so check out the link.

The next major event at Cousins RV Park (http://www.cousinssouthhaven.com) is the upcoming Fourth of July Pig Roast.  Most of us are already drooling profusely so it's difficult to talk, but let me say this ... this is a major eating fest.  Dishes to pass from some of the best cooks/campers on the planet, this is summer at its finest.  Jerry and Corky will be cooking up the 180+ pound porker and by about noon on the 3rd, we'll all be lined up like kids at the candy counter anticipating that heavenly pork.  Oh what decadence.  We'll have a parade in the park complete with flags, decorations and pretty girls plus South Haven will be having its annual fireworks show later that night. Summer in Southwestern Michigan at its finest.

Hal and Mary (camp owners) make such a fuss over the campers here it's no wonder so many come back each year and this premier event seals the deal for most of us.  A big 'Thanks' to both of them.

And so it goes ... still livin' the dream.

Phil

No comments: