Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Savannah chicken

Another day on the adventure road.  This time we headed to Savannah.  The land of pralines and neat old houses and the smell of the sea.  Actually I wanted to go to one of the bigger photo shops there and Sharon wanted to go to Paula Deen's famous restaurant ... The Lady & Sons.  http://www.ladyandsons.com/

Our trusty GPS  (gotta get a new one) took us on another wild-goose chase and led us to the middle of an off-ramp somewhere on the north side of town some 5 miles where we should have been.  We probably gave it the wrong address but I'm blaming it on the machine anyway.

Savannah, in spite of all the history that permeates the town  is still driven in many ways by the tourist industry.  Folks meandering around with little bags of trinkets purchased at one of the many shops around Bay Street.  Tour buses, tour trolleys, tour boats ... Don't get me wrong ... it's an interesting destination with great exposure to the arts, many fine hotels and restaurants for any palette but I think without the tourists the economy really struggles.  The city fathers are working on the infrastructure along the river and several bridge projects are underway all which will pay dividends in the future.  Maybe I didn't look deep enough but it's not really my kind of town.

Now Sharon's instincts concerning restaurants are usually pretty good.  We located The Lady & Sons and after circling it twice, I dropped Sharon off to get a table and I went on to find a parking place.  Not always an easy task in a town designed for horse travel.  With a little navigating around the general vicinity I finally found one with a parking meter.  The spot was a little tight but I managed to squeeze in.  I got out to only discover that I didn't have any change in my pocket.  I looked around and asked in a couple of the local art galleries nearby but they were not into many cash transactions and couldn't help.  A bit down the street I noticed a kitchen shop and headed there. Four people were ahead of me and no one was in a hurry.  As a matter of fact as each patron, when ready to pay for their item, suddenly had the urge to ask the cashier for some other item that required a search around the store to find.  I'm standing there, tapping my toe ... trying to be patient, trying not to scream at the top of my lungs to get on with it ladies.  All I want was change for a dollar!  Not a blue napkin set ... not a pot holder with dogs on it ... nothing special, just change for a dollar.  I'm thinking that Sharon has already been seated and is enjoying a cool lemonade while I'm sweating it out waiting for change for a dollar in a kitchen utensil shop. 
Since long stories are long ... I'll continue.



Finally I got some change, fed the meter and proceeded to the restaurant.   I got the there and Sharon was waiting on the sidewalk outside.  They wouldn't seat her without me being there! What hogwash I thought.
We were told to go down a couple of doors, go inside and wait for our names to be called.  The waiting room, as you might guess was a gift shop.  Spend a couple of $20's here and there was the thought but we fooled them.  Our name was called and we dashed off following what we thought was a waiter.  We walked by a long buffet filled with steaming food.  Placed right next to one of the large picture windows that faced the street, the sight drew plenty of onlookers.  We followed the 'waiter' around a corner and she said "3rd floor, the elevator is right over here".  I looked around at all the empty tables on that floor and quickly wondered why I need to go up three floors for lunch.  Arriving at the 3rd level we were greeted by another person who led us to a table for six by the window.  Soon a real waiter arrived with water and menus.  We looked over the offerings (nothing too special in my opinion with the exception of the asparagus sandwich) and both decided on the buffet.  Fried chicken, mashed spuds, green beans, mac and cheese, and a few other things.  As it turns out the food was okay (but the chicken was not very warm) and it was marginally worth the $13.99.  I guess we can check another restaurant off our 'bucket list' of famous places to eat but probably won't lather up another biscuit there soon.  Sorry Paula.

All in all it was an okay trip as getting out and seeing new parts of the area are always good.

Still livin' the dream.

Phil

1 comment:

Rod & Hollies Travel said...

Warning don't come home COLD!
Stay warm.
Rod & Hollie