Sunday, December 30, 2007

Oh the lazy days of winter...

Nothing on the calendar today so it turned into another kick-back day. The laundry was caught up and I swapped out the coaches water pump. Old one in there for more years than I know of and I already had a spare so with about 30 minutes of labor and we're good to go another umpteen' years. The weather here was ideal today with bright sunny skies and high 60's.

We had a couple of steaks in the frig so I fired up the grill, uncorked a rather unspectacular Cabernet, plunked my butt in lawn chair and made dinner. Later, Sharon goaded me into a walk so we headed down to the San Marcos river (about 200 ft out the front door) and enjoyed the sights and sounds of the crystal clear river. Large rocks, many fast runs and large eddies gave one the impression of a class 'A' trout stream. Unfortunately the trout didn't know that as the bass and catfish were its primary inhabitants. While checking in at the nearby Cabela's store I met one of the sales clerks in the fly fishing area and he said the only trout were available on the nearby Guadalupe and it's feeder lake. Apparently native trout don't multiply fast enough here as the state and T.U. plant on a regular bases. As are many things here in Texas, the plants are big as well. Many exceed 16 inches. Another thing I learned from the salesmen...during the past several years he has been a guide on the Pere Marquette in Michigan and the Au Sable in upstate New York. Two fine streams I've fished and we had in common. Small world isn't it.

Anyway... back to our evening at the river. We finished our waterside stroll and found a gazebo overlooking the river with two comfortable looking wooden swings. They didn't look too sturdy for the load limit we were about to impose so we each took one and rocked away watching the stars capture the after-sundown sky. Very peaceful and after a bottle of wine (which began to get better after the 2nd glass), the end to another day... 'livin the dream'.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey, I love to read your blog. And I'm really happy you're enjoying life.

Happy New Year to you all!

Susanne