Monday, November 12, 2007

Hot Springs Arkansas

Whew... what a ride south from Branson. I now know of a new place to hold the next grand prix race. Up, down and around hills and hairpin turns in a 65ft, 19 ton ,ten wheel, two vehicle package that has it's own toilet. The view from the drivers seat is sort of like tunnel vision. There is no room to allow the eyes to wander about enjoying the spectacular scenery. I think something more like a mule might be more fitting the next time I go this way.

Shortly before prying my whitened knuckles off the steering wheel after the 5+ hour ordeal, someone was standing near the entrance to our KOA stop frantically waving me to stop. I brought the behemoth to a halt and the guy said 'you're dragging something under your rig'. I asked if it was still alive and he said it was some sort of pipe. Relieved that I had not drug some oldster who had wandered into my path while in Branson, I discovered that the exhaust pipe on the diesel furnace has broken loose. Luckily there was a mobile repair service already working on a rig at the park and he agreed to look at it. It appears to be a minor fix however having said that, most of the time any repair people touch the rig it's ten times more than I estimate. Wanderlust has a price. I called Monaco for assistance and they're working on a solution with AquaHot, the company who manufactures the furnace. Should know more tomorrow. Unfortunately our plans to go diamond hunting may be delayed a day.

The park is nicely laid out. Rolling hills with lots of trees decked out in autumn colors. The neighbors appear to be a mixed lot. Single women in a Class C on one side spending a lot of time using her laptop and about 5 units on the right side filled with good ole boy stock car racing fans. Since they're close to my age, they've slowed downed to a couple of beers and a brat then a slug of Metamucil then off to bed. Apparently there is a race track nearby and they are getting ready for next weekends festivities.

Depending on the repairman and the weather, we may end up touring Hot Springs and maybe getting Sharon into one of the mineral springs to help with her sore back. She also wants to go to the Billy Clinton library for some unknown reason. All I interested in is seeing the famous blue dress. Suppose I'll be disappointed?

As these days go by and we continue to see what a privilege it is to taking a trip like this, we still think of our friends and family back home and hope that through this blog, all of you can share in our experiences.

3 comments:

RebeccaMcCormick said...

I laughed when I read, "They've slowed to a couple of beers and a brat chased with a slug of Metamucil." GREAT imagery!

Recently geographer Warren Bland named Hot Springs, Ark. the No. 1 place in America to retire.

I gotta admit, Hot Springs is a pretty cool place to live, even for those of us who aren't yet retired.

To see short video clips from Hot Springs, check out SpaVlogger.

Rebecca McCormick,
Travel writer, Hot Springs Village Voice

Bill said...

Hope you find enough diamonds to pay for the MH repair. MSN is advertising a 4.5 gemstone for $199 (free shipping) should you not locate your own.

Bill

Unknown said...

bill...

That's good information but thankfully the repair should only be about $20. Diamond discoveries are down from last year so we'll just have to dig deeper.